Alex Almeida, Dell EMC and Bob Bender, Founders Federal Credit Union | Dell Technologies World 2018

>> Announcer: Live from Las Vegas, it's the Cube, covering Dell Technologies World, 2018, brought to you by Dell EMC and it's ecosystem partners >> Well welcome back to Las Vegas, the Cube, continuing our coverage here of Dell Technologies World 2018, with some 14 thousand strong in attendance

This is day two by the way, of three days of coverage that you'll be seeing here live on the Cube Along with Keith Townsend, I'm John Walls and we're now joined by Alex Almeida, who is the consultant of product marketing at Dell EMC, and Bob Bender who is the CTO of Founders Federal Credit Union, Bob, good to see you as well, sir >> Thank you, thank you for having me >> You bet, thanks for being here to both of you First off, let's just set the table for what you do at Founders and what Founders is all about and then why Dell, and how Dell figures into your picture

>> Sure, so Founders Federal Credit Union established in 1950 we're a regional financial institution providing basic services for that area in South and North Carolina We now service over 32 areas and we have about 210 thousand plus members So I'm Chief Technology Officer and we're looking to Dell EMC to really give us a lift in the cyber resilience of our data, what we're trying to protect today >> Keith and I were talking too, and said we always like hearing on the customer side of this, especially on the financial side, right? Because your concerns are grave concerns, right? We all care about our money, right? And obviously that's first and foremost for you, having trust, credibility, liability So tell us a little bit about that thought process in general, what drives your business and how that then transfers over to DIT

>> Sure, and as a member, you look at us, big or small, you expect the same cyber resilience, protection for your personal information, you don't think there's going to be a difference there So if you look at the Carolina's, you're going to see a significant, or the southeast, we've been picked on with malware, with that data extortion of what the name, ransomware, so we had to find a solution quickly and we looked at Dell EMC for data protection and cyber recovery to really help us in that area and really protect our data >> So let's talk about some of the threats faced Outside of malware, typically the line of thought is, you know what, don't assume that you can prevent getting hacked, assume that you are hacked, what personas do you guys wear as a bank, or as a credit union? >> Well, we looked at that and what we did is we get really involved and we go out and we see that event, the breach, the malware, the ransomware, and so we really thought, we lack the ability of bringing assets under governance, so how do we really roll that up so that everybody knows at any point in time, we can recover, that we have kind of a isolated recovery, an air gap, or a data bunker, and then a clean room to bring that up, a Sandbox And we really saw that our tape media backup recovery was not going to recover for the events that were happening, the old days, you're looking at one or two critical systems that are being recovered

Today, they're locking 500, 1500 servers in a matter of minutes So, when you rehydrate that data, you know, the deduplication, we're seeing 72 to one and that's done very fast, through the product lines of Dell EMC, significant, but when you want to rehydrate that, the data's gone, it's just not there Well, if you take away that air gap situation, what're you left with? And if they're smart enough to figure out where your backups are, you're left with no protection, so we really needed to isolate and put off network all that critical data And because of that 72 to one dedupe rate, and I realize we may be unique, there's others that may have to choose what those critical systems are, we're not going to have to, we're going to protect everything, every day, and so that we have a recovery point that we can point to and show management and our board and our members, such as you guys, that we can recover, that you're going to have trust in us handling your financial responsibilities >> So what specific technologies are you guys using from Dell to create this environment in which you can recover within these isolated bubbles? >> You know, I'll let Alex talk more specific, but we really looked at the data protection solution, and a cyber solution, we said phase one, we want to stand this up very quickly because it's any minute this could happen to us

It's happening to very smart establishments We really picked what was going to optimize our first iteration of this, and we did it quickly, so we're talking a roll out in 45 days We used Data Domain, Avamar, DD Boost, we've got Data Protection Advisor, which gives me, whether I'm here or I'm off at another conference, or I'm showing up at the office, I get instant results of what we did the day before for that recovery I know that we're in the petabyte storage business, I don't know when we crossed that line, but now we store you know, a huge amount of data very quickly I mean, we took their product line and went from hours down to seconds and I can move that window any which way I want, and so it's just empowering to be able to use that product line to protect our data the way we are today

>> Yeah, I think the Dell EMC cyber recovery solution really is kind of looking at solving the problem, most people look at it from solving it as a preventative thing, how do I prevent malware from happening, how do I stop ransomware from attacking me? The thing is is that it's all about really, how are you going to recover from that? And having plan to be able to recover And with the way we approached it, we started talking to customers like Bob, and they were really coming to us and saying, you know, this is increasing, this is an increasing problem that we're seeing and it's inevitable, we feel we're going to be attacked at some point And you see on the news today, you know, we're only a little bit through the year and there's been a lot of news on cyber attacks and things like that The key thing is how do you recover? So we took at that in conversations with our customers and went specifically back and designed a solution that leverages the best in industry technology that we have with our data protection portfolio So when you look at data deduplication, you look at Data Domain, that technology in the industry provides the fastest recovery possible

And from there, that makes it realistic for companies to really say, yeah, I can recover from a ransomware attack And the more important thing is, we look at this as the isolation piece of the solution is really where the value comes in Not only is it to get a clean copy of the data, but you can use that for analysis of that data in that clean room to be able to detect early on problems that may be happening in your production environment And it's really important that that recovery aspect be stressed and really the Data Domain solution is kind of the enabler there >> It's still a really tough spot to be in, right? Because on one hand you're protecting, you're trying to prevent, so you're building the fortress as best you can, and at the same time, you're developing a recovery solution so that if there is a violation, an intrusion, you're going to be okay, but the fact is the data's gone, you know, it went out the door, and so I'm just curious psychologically, you know, how do you deal with that, with your board, with your ownership, with your customers? How do you deal with it, Alex, to your customer, just saying we're going to do all we can to keep this safe, >> Absolutely

>> But so that but is a big caviada, right? How do both of you deal with that? >> Yeah >> First off >> I'll say this, working with the Dell EMC engineers and their business partners, I'm sleeping better at night, and I'm not just saying that being here, what I mean is that they've shrunk my backup window, they've guaranteed me reporting and a infrastructure IQ of that environment that I have more insight, integrated, so across, holistically, my enterprise

So no longer am I adding on different components to complete backups, this backup, this company, this I never get that insight, and I never really have the evidence that we're restoring, I can do the store and the restore at the same time and see that next day in reporting, that we're achieving that I hear that but, but that but is a little quieter because you know, it's just a little less impactful because I'm confident now that I've got a very efficient window

I'm not effecting again, with those add on, ad hoc products, not condemning 'em, but, they're impactful to critical applications, I can see response time during peak times, the product doesn't have that effect And it's really exciting because now I can, you know, I've got to rip and replace, I got to lift and shift, you decide what the acronyms you want to add to it, but we The big thing I want to add, and sorry to ramble here a little, >> You're fine

>> Yep, yep Our run books are becoming smaller And this is, the less complex, now we're taking keep the lights on people that are very frustrated with our acronyms and our terminology and the way we're going and I'm starting to bring them into the cyber resilience, cyber security environment and they're feeling empowered and I'm getting more creative ideas and that means, more creative ideas means we're back as a business solving problems, not worrying if our backups are done at two in the morning >> And from a Dell EMC perspective, I think we're really uniquely positioned in the industry, in that, not just from Dell EMC, but we look at all of Dell technologies, right? When we incorporate the fact that we have best in class data protection solutions to do operational recovery, disaster recovery, the next logical step is to really augment that and really start looking at cyber recovery, right? And then when you look at that and you look at the power of Dell technologies, it's really a layered approach, how do I layer my data protection solutions to do operational recovery, to do disaster recovery? And then at the same time, throw in a little RSA and SecureWorks in there into the picture and we're really uniquely positioned as a vendor in the industry, no other vendor can really handle that breadth in the industry from a cyber recovery standpoint when you throw in the likes of RSA and SecureWorks >> So, Alex, let's drill down in the overall capability versus the rest of the industry

There's been a ton of investment in data protection, 90 million, 100 million, we're seeing unicorns pop up over just this use case of data protection And they're making no qualms at it, they're going right at the Data Domain business What is the message that you're going out and telling any users like Bob, that, you know what, stay the course, Data Domain, the portfolio of data protection at Dell is the best way to recover your environment in case of a breach >> Yeah, absolutely So in terms of that, what I say to customers I talk to every day around this, that are maybe doubting you know, going forward and what they're going to do, is that we are continuing to innovate, that Data Domain platform continues to innovate, you see that in our cloud scenarios, in the cloud, you know, use cases that we're talking about, and really kind of working together with our customers as a partner on how we apply things like cyber recovery for their workloads that go into the cloud, right? And that's really through that working relationship with customers and that very strong investment that we're making on the engineering side with our roadmaps is really what customers, at the end of the day become convinced that Data Domain is here to stay

>> So, Bob I'd love to follow up on– >> Bob: Can I add on to that? >> Please >> You know, I think the couple things you pointed on that I probably missed, is one, you've given me options, I can be on pram or off pram or back to on pram, and that is with the product line And again, that integration across that, I have to have that insight, but at the end of the day, Dell EMC's product line delivers and that's what we experienced in our relationship We're not talking about 72 to one dedupe rate, I know that's, I triple checked the facts, it's like really, we're achieving that? That's impactful to my project lines, right? I'm no longer a bottle neck because I'm back at the projects and we're getting stuff moving and we're just not confused by the technology or the way we have to, you know, kind of bandaid them together, it's just one place to go and it delivers And we see that delivery, especially with the growth of the Data Domain and the addition of the Sandbox, it's very exciting, we're seeing some great performance on our new systems >> Yeah, and we hear that a lot about the flexibility of the portfolio and the data protection, the fact that, Bob mentioned it many times, making the backup window disappear is really where the heart of it is And now Bob's team an all the customers that I've talked to and their teams can go off and actually move the business forward with more innovation and bringing more value back to the business

>> Part of security is disaster recovery Do you guys integrate your disaster recovery practice as part of your Data Domain implementation? >> I think that's a great question We've challenged our DR group, external also, we saw incident response component, just a big empty hole, it's missing And I think that's a change in mindset people have to implement, as you pointed out, incident response is going to be before the disaster And if you don't stand up, you're, look our data's gone mobile, that means it's everywhere, and we have to follow it everywhere with the same protection in the end of the day, no matter where we sit, we own it, we're responsible for it, so we have to go after it in the same protection

So I think it is part of that, we're integrating it, I think we confused a couple companies with that, but you got to stand up those foundation services, the cyber security, the data life cycle has made the cyber security become much more complex And the use, the business use of that data is becoming more demanding, so we had to make it available, so we had to be transparent with these products and Kudos to Dell EMC and all the engineers making this happen I don't know what I would be doing if it wasn't there for me >> Keith: Well thank you, Bob >> You know, and I'll tell you what strikes me a little bit about this, as we have just a final moment here, is that we think about cyber invasions and violations, what have you, we think about it on a global or a national scale

I mean, you are a very successful regional business, right? And you are just as prime of a target for malfeasance as any and you need to take these prophylactic measures just as aggressively as any enterprise >> Right, right If you look at the names, I mean, you just go down the list, Boeing, Mecklenburg County, City of Atlanta, you know, not to name 'em and pick on 'em but they're still recovering And our business resilience, our reputation is all we have, we're there, you know, our critical asset is your data, that is what we say, you know, the story we tell is how we protect that and that's our services and if at the end of the day you don't trust our services, what are we? >> Alex: That's right >> Not enough just to protect and prevent, you have to be able to recover

>> So to have a business partner that really understands, and I know I'm a little, maybe a little smaller than some of your others, but you still treat me like I'm And you still listen to me, I bring you ideas, you say this fits, let's see what we can do Your engineers go back and they say, you know, we can't say yes, but we can say we're going to take a different approach and come back with a solution

So it's very, very exciting to have a partner that does that with you >> No, it's a great lesson, it is, it's great Although, as I say goodbye here, I am a little disappointed when I heard you're from South Carolina I was expecting this wonderful southern accent to come out (laughing) it just, Bob, what happened? >> You know, I'm an Iowa boy >> John: You got a little yankee in ya'

>> There you go Maybe they'll say a little more than a little >> Alright, gentlemen, thanks for being with us >> Thank you very much for having us >> Thanks for sharing the Founders Federal story

Back with more from Las Vegas, you're watching the Cube, we're in Dell Technologies World 2018